GENEVA Geneva talks aimed at ending the Syrian war will tackle the key issues of stopping violence, setting up a transitional governing body, and plans for national institutions and reconciliation, mediator Lakhdar Brahimi has told the two sides in a document obtained by Reuters on Monday.
Brahimi plans to keep meeting the two sides separately for the next few days in hopes of improving the negotiating atmosphere at the Geneva talks, where a second session, expected to last a week, began on Monday.
(Reporting by Khaled Yacoub Oweis, editing by Tom Miles)
Trending On Reuters
The Afghan Taliban have named Haibatullah Akhunzada their new leader, a spokesman said in a statement on Wednesday that gave the group's first official confirmation that former leader Mullah Akhtar Mansour had been killed in a U.S. drone strike. Full Article
- Ten killed in suicide attack near Afghan capital
- No sign of EgyptAir plane technical problems before takeoff - sources
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Paying the ultimate price on Mount Everest
- Insight: Philippine death squads very much in business as Duterte set for presidency