DUBAI The Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) said on Monday it will recognise Syria's newly formed opposition coalition as the legitimate representative of the Syrian people.
Syrian opposition groups struck a deal in Doha on Sunday to form a broad coalition to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad.
"The GCC declares its recognition of the Syrian national coalition ... as the legitimate representative of the brotherly Syrian people," Abdulatif al-Zayani, the GCC's secretary general, said in a statement.
(Writing by Amran Abocar; Editing by Michael Roddy)
Trending On Reuters
Nineteen people were killed and 25 wounded after an attack by a knife-wielding man at a facility for the disabled in central Japan early on Tuesday, a government official said, in Japan's worst mass killing in decades. Full Article
- Turkey detains 42 journalists in crackdown as Europe sounds alarm
- Sanders backers revolt on raucous opening day at U.S. Democratic convention
- U.N. body overturns rejection, accredits press freedom watchdog
- Nine militants killed in police raid in Bangladesh
- After Nepal prime minister goes, China says hopes for stability