DUBAI The Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) said on Monday it will recognise Syria's newly formed opposition coalition as the legitimate representative of the Syrian people.
Syrian opposition groups struck a deal in Doha on Sunday to form a broad coalition to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad.
"The GCC declares its recognition of the Syrian national coalition ... as the legitimate representative of the brotherly Syrian people," Abdulatif al-Zayani, the GCC's secretary general, said in a statement.
(Writing by Amran Abocar; Editing by Michael Roddy)
Trending On Reuters
Major powers agreed on Friday to a pause in combat in Syria, but Russia pressed on with its relentless bombing in support of its ally President Bashar al-Assad, who vowed to fight on until he regains full control of the country. Full Article
- Two teens shot at high school in Phoenix suburb, police say
- INTERVIEW - China urges U.N. action to make North Korea "pay price"
- In Myanmar, political mood sours as transition talks hit a snag
- Five U.N. peackeepers killed by truck bomb, mortar fire in Mali
- Pakistan says no "organised presence" of Islamic State, despite intelligence chief's warning