TAIPEI Taiwan issued a warning for torrential rain and strong winds and put its military on standby as typhoon Tembin headed for the island's east coast with winds of around 145 km/hour after soaking parts of the Philippines.
Tembin is currently a category 3 typhoon on the international scale up to 5. It is expected to weaken to a category 2 as it crosses Taiwan on Thursday, affecting the whole of the island, before heading for southern China.
A second typhoon, Bolaven, also currently a category 3 storm, is likely to affect Taiwan on the weekend, passing the island's north coast.
Earlier this month rain from typhoon Saola triggered landslides and flooding that killed five people in Taiwan, shut markets and businesses and forced the evacuation of 1,000 people.
(Reporting by Jonathan Standing; Editing by Richard Pullin)
Trending On Reuters
Turkey's top brass and political leaders were poised to launch a major overhaul of the armed forces on Thursday after a failed military coup that has shaken the nation of nearly 80 million people and alarmed its NATO allies. Full Article
- Armed with party support, Clinton to make case for the White House
- German police raid mosque and apartments in crackdown on Salafists
- Second French church attacker was known to police - sources
- Senior Pakistani officer to investigate British woman's suspected 'honour killing'
- Fervent jihadist or suicidal refugee: the many faces of Bavarian bomber