Reuters logo
Many of the 39 killed in Istanbul attack were foreigners - minister
January 1, 2017 / 5:31 AM / 10 months ago

Many of the 39 killed in Istanbul attack were foreigners - minister

Police secure an area near an Istanbul nightclub, following a gun attack, Turkey, January 1, 2017. REUTERS/Osman Orsal

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Fifteen or sixteen of the 39 people killed when a gunman attacked a nightclub in Istanbul on Sunday were foreigners, but only 21 of the bodies have so far been identified, Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said.

Soylu said a manhunt was underway for the attacker.

Speaking to reporters, he said that five Turkish citizens were among the dead and that 69 people were in hospital.

Reporting by Yesim Dikmen; Writing by Nick Tattersall

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below