GAZA An Israeli aircraft targeted a civilian car in the centre of Gaza City's busiest shopping street on Wednesday night and at least one person in the car, the driver, was killed, medics said.
Video of the destroyed car showed it had large red stickers that read "TV". The killed driver, Hamed Shehab, 30, worked for the Gaza-based news website Media 24. (media24.ps/)
A Media 24 journalist told Reuters that Shehab was occasionally called in to work as a driver when news events warranted.
The Israeli military had no initial comment on the strike, and a spokeswoman said she was checking for details.
(Reporting by Nidal Almughrabi, Editing by Ori Lewis and Ken Wills)
Trending On Reuters
Barack Obama on Friday became the first incumbent U.S. president to visit Hiroshima, site of the world's first atomic bombing, in a gesture Tokyo and Washington hope will showcase their alliance and reinvigorate efforts to rid the world of nuclear arms. Read
- N.Korea threatens retaliation after S.Korean warning shots
- Islamic State drives Syria rebels from near Turkish border
- Syrian refugee finds home among the beards of Budapest
- Bashing Trump not enough for Democrats to win Latino vote, advocates warn
- Iraqis fleeing Mosul to Syria, up to 50,000 anticipated - UNHCR