MOSCOW Crimea's parliament applied to become part of Russia on Monday, a day after a referendum in the southern Ukrainian region showed overwhelming support for joining the Russian Federation.
The parliament "made a proposal to the Russian Federation to admit the Republic of Crimea as a new subject with the status of a republic," according to a statement on its website.
A Crimean parliamentary delegation was expected to arrive in Moscow on Monday to discuss the procedures required for the Black Sea peninsula to become part of the Russian Federation.
(Reporting by Lidia Kelly and Dmitry Antonov)
Trending On Reuters
Turkey on Saturday released more than 750 soldiers who had been detained after an abortive coup, state media reported, while President Tayyip Erdogan said he would drop lawsuits against those who had insulted him, in a one-time gesture of "unity". Full Article | Ripples of anti-Gulen crackdown
- Afghan Taliban delegation visits China to discuss unrest - sources
- Belgium charges man with planning attack, releases brother
- Pope urges Polish churchmen to open up, shun worldly ambitions
- Afghan troops press offensive against Islamic State
- Bavaria leader rejects Merkel's 'we can do this' refugee mantra