MOSCOW Crimea's parliament applied to become part of Russia on Monday, a day after a referendum in the southern Ukrainian region showed overwhelming support for joining the Russian Federation.
The parliament "made a proposal to the Russian Federation to admit the Republic of Crimea as a new subject with the status of a republic," according to a statement on its website.
A Crimean parliamentary delegation was expected to arrive in Moscow on Monday to discuss the procedures required for the Black Sea peninsula to become part of the Russian Federation.
(Reporting by Lidia Kelly and Dmitry Antonov)
Trending On Reuters
A powerful earthquake struck Taiwan early on Saturday killing at least 12 people, most in a 17-storey apartment building that collapsed, with some people still known to be missing in the ruins of the complex as night fell, government officials said. Full Article | Video
- U.S. officials say North Korea may be nearing launch
- Zika found in saliva, urine in Brazil; U.S. offers sex advice
- As Myanmar powerbrokers talk, could Suu Kyi emerge as president?
- Insight - Unpaid and angry, some Chinese workers ditch holidays to protest
- Astronaut Edgar Mitchell, sixth man to walk on moon, dies at 85