KIEV Ukrainian presidential bodyguards have disposed of a powerful explosive device discovered near President Petro Poroshenko's headquarters, a security source said on Saturday.
"The device was found during the night near the gate where presidential cars go in. It was a container with five grenades and a kilogram of metal nuts," said the source, who declined to be identified. "It was a really powerful device."
The source gave no other details. The presidential administration did not immediately issue any statement.
Poroshenko was sworn in last week after wining an election on May 25. His predecessor, Viktor Yanukovich, was ousted in February after protests in Kiev and the government is facing a rebellion by pro-Russian separatists in east Ukraine.
(Reporting by Pavel Polityuk, Editing by Timothy Heritage)
Trending On Reuters
India and the United States are in talks to help each other track submarines in the Indian Ocean, military officials say, a move that could further tighten defense ties between New Delhi and Washington as China steps up its undersea activities. Full Article
- As Asia's rice crop shrivels, food security fears resurface
- South Korea revives GPS backup project after blaming North for jamming
- Russia says talks to extend Syrian lull in fighting to Aleppo
- May Day rally in Los Angeles features strong anti-Trump theme
- Video: Clinton slams Trump's 'birther' movement against Obama