KIEV Russian forces took control of a Ukrainian border guard post in western Crimea on Sunday, trapping about 30 personnel inside, a border guard spokesman said.
He said by telephone that the Chernomorskoye base on the western edge of the Back Sea peninsula had been taken over without bloodshed at around six a.m. (0400 GMT).
The spokesman, Oleh Slobodyan, said Russian forces now controlled 11 border guard posts in Crimea.
Russian forces' seizure of the southern Ukrainian region, which began 11 days ago, has been bloodless. Ukrainian troops are trapped in a number of bases but have offered no armed resistance.
(Reporting by Natalia Zinets, Editing by Timothy Heritage)
Trending On Reuters
Nineteen people were killed and 25 wounded after an attack by a knife-wielding man at a facility for the disabled in central Japan early on Tuesday, a government official said, in Japan's worst mass killing in decades. Full Article
- Turkey detains 42 journalists in crackdown as Europe sounds alarm
- Sanders backers revolt on raucous opening day at U.S. Democratic convention
- U.N. body overturns rejection, accredits press freedom watchdog
- Nine militants killed in police raid in Bangladesh
- After Nepal prime minister goes, China says hopes for stability