DONETSK Ukraine A Reuters witness heard prolonged shelling in an area north of Donetsk, eastern Ukraine's largest city, and saw plumes of black smoke filling the sky on Sunday morning, in a further test for a ceasefire that is barely 40 hours old.
The shelling came from near the airport, which has been in the hands of Ukrainian government forces though pro-Russian rebels control the city. Rebels told Reuters the airport itself was now empty and that the fighting was centred on a nearby military compound.
"Listen to the sound of the ceasefire," joked one armed rebel. "There's a proper battle going on there."
Overnight the port of Mariupol on the Sea of Azov, to the south of Donetsk, also saw a serious violation of the ceasefire when government forces came under artillery fire. There was no word on casualties.
(Reporting by Gabriela Baczynska, writing by Gareth Jones)
Trending On Reuters
A 27-year-old Syrian man denied asylum in Germany a year ago died on Sunday when he set off a bomb outside a crowded music festival in Bavaria, an official said, in the fourth violent attack in the country in less than a week. Full Article | Video
- Munich gunman planned attacks for a year - Bavarian officials
- Syrian refugee in Germany arrested after killing woman in machete attack
- Democrats in disarray on eve of convention to nominate Clinton
- Civilian casualties increase as Afghan troops battle Taliban - U.N.
- ASEAN breaks deadlock on South China Sea, Beijing thanks Cambodia for support