LIMA A Chilean cult leader who allegedly burned a newborn baby alive to stave off apocalypse before fleeing to Peru was found dead on Wednesday in an apparent suicide, authorities told local media.
Ramon Castillo, the 36-year-old leader of a doomsday sect, was accused of throwing a three-day-old baby girl - possibly his daughter - into a bonfire in Chile in November because he believed she was the Antichrist, according to regional media.
Castillo's body was discovered in an abandoned house in the historic city of Cusco, a popular tourist destination near the Incan ruins of Machu Picchu in southern Peru, Peruvian authorities told reporters. The police believe he hanged himself.
The baby's mother and other cult members have been arrested, Chilean news reports said.
(Reporting By Mitra Taj; Editing by Eric Walsh)
Trending On Reuters
- Elton John tells Russians he still wants to meet Putin to talk gay rights
- Green diamond sells for $16.8 million, sets auction record
- German court allows music sampling for hip-hop producer
- Ecstasy use jumps in Europe, no longer just a dance drug-report
- Poland to appeal court decision not to extradite Polanski to U.S