WASHINGTON President Barack Obama fully supports the Pentagon's decision to lift a ban on women serving in frontline combat roles, White House spokesman Jay Carney said on Thursday.
Ahead of the Pentagon's formal announcement later on Thursday, Carney told reporters Obama is "very pleased" with the decision and "fully supports this effort to expand opportunities for women."
Carney said the recommendation emerged from military commanders, although Obama had discussed it with Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and others.
(Reporting By Steve Holland and Matt Spetalnick; Editing by Vicki Allen)
Trending On Reuters
A huge fire swept through one of India's biggest arms depots on Tuesday, triggering an explosion and killing as many as 17 people, army and regional officials said. Full Article
- Earthquake measuring 6.1 shakes parts of Taiwan, including capital
- Attempted North Korea missile launch fails - South Korea
- Rio de Janeiro police arrest two men in gang-rape case
- Extreme weather increasing level of toxins in food, scientists warn
- China's Xi says hopes to get Philippines ties back on track