* Futures up: Dow 24 pts, S&P 2.28 pts, Nasdaq 8 pts
By Tanya Agrawal
Jan 13 U.S. stock index futures were slightly
higher on Friday as Bank of America kicked off the
fourth-quarter earnings season, with reports from two other big
U.S. banks still to come.
* Shares of Bank of America were little changed at
$22.90 in choppy premarket trading after the lender's quarterly
profit beat estimates, but its revenue fell short.
* JPMorgan, and Wells Fargo are scheduled to
report quarterly results at 8:00 a.m. ET (1300 GMT).
* The S&P financial sector has jumped about 17
percent since the Nov. 8 U.S. presidential election, outpacing
the S&P 500's 6.1 percent rise, boosted by hopes of deregulation
and increased interest rates.
* Overall, fourth-quarter earnings at S&P 500 companies are
expected to have risen 5.7 percent from a year ago, while
revenue likely increased 4.4 percent, according to Thomson
* Wall Street closed lower on Thursday, a day after U.S.
President-elect Donald Trump dashed investor hopes for new
details on his policy plans in his first news conference.
* Oil prices were down 1 percent on Friday on lingering
doubts over the extent of OPEC cuts, with sentiment worsened by
concerns over the health of the Chinese economy.
* Chinese economic data showed December exports fell by 6.1
percent, meaning the overall fall in exports last year was the
biggest since the depths of the crisis in 2009.
* U.S. economic data on tap includes December retail sales,
which likely surged 0.7 percent after edging up 0.1 percent in
November. The data is expected at 8:30 a.m. ET.
* A separate report at 10 a.m. ET is expected to show U.S.
consumer sentiment improved to 98.5 in January from 98.2.
* Philadelphia Fed Chief Patrick Harker is scheduled to
speak on "economic mobility" at 9:30 a.m. ET. Harker is a voting
member of the policy-setting committee at the Federal Reserve.
* Pandora Media was up 8.7 percent at $13.04 after the
online radio service said it would reduce its U.S. workforce and
that it expects to surpass its fourth-quarter revenue forecast.
Futures snapshot at 7:01 a.m. ET:
* Dow e-minis were up 24 points, or 0.12 percent,
with 11,181 contracts changing hands.
* S&P 500 e-minis were up 2.25 points, or 0.1
percent, with 67,470 contracts traded.
* Nasdaq 100 e-minis were up 8 points, or 0.16
percent, on volume of 11,415 contracts.
(Reporting by Tanya Agrawal; Editing by Savio D'Souza)