US STOCKS-S&P 500 edges lower ahead of French election
* Dow up 0.05 pct, S&P 500 down 0.14 pct, Nasdaq down 0.08 pct (Updates to mid-afternoon, changes byline)
* Futures: Dow up 13 pts, S&P flat, Nasdaq up 4.25 pts
By Yashaswini Swamynathan
Feb 8 U.S. stock index futures were little changed on Wednesday as investors focused on quarterly earnings, a day after the Dow Jones Industrial Average and the Nasdaq hit record highs.
* More than half of the S&P 500 companies have reported results so far, with their combined earnings estimated to have risen 8.2 percent - the most in nine quarters.
* Key companies scheduled to report results on Wednesday include Goodyear Tire, life insurer Prudential Financial and grocer Whole Foods.
* The dollar edged up 0.3 percent, but gold rose to a three-month high as political uncertainty ahead of European elections kept the safe-haven asset in favor.
* Oil prices fell 0.3 percent, extending losses to the third day as an increase in U.S. crude inventories and a slump in Chinese demand implied that global oil markets remain oversupplied despite OPEC-led efforts to cut output.
* Among stocks, Gilead dropped 6.7 percent to $68.25 premarket after the drugmaker projected disappointing sales for its hepatitis C drugs this year.
* Cognizant slipped 1.4 percent to $53.05 in light trading. The IT services provider named three directors to its board, bowing to pressure from activist shareholder Elliott Management.
* Oreo cookie maker Mondelez was down 2.1 percent at $43 following a quarterly sales and profit miss.
* No key economic report is scheduled for the day.
Futures snapshot at 6:49 a.m. ET:
* Dow e-minis were up 13 points, or 0.06 percent, with 17,196 contracts changing hands.
* S&P 500 e-minis remained unchanged, with 83,224 contracts traded.
* Nasdaq 100 e-minis were up 4.25 points, or 0.08 percent, on volume of 16,883 contracts. (Reporting by Yashaswini Swamynathan in Bengaluru; Editing by Anil D'Silva)
* Mattel among top drags on Nasdaq after bigger-than-expected loss