LONDON - U.S. drugmaker AbbVie Inc bought Dublin-based Shire Plc on Friday in a 32 billion pound ($54.7 billion) deal that will allow it to slash its tax bill by relocating to Britain.
LOS ANGELES - Twenty-First Century Fox cannot buy publisher Tribune Co or its Los Angeles Times newspaper, Fox Chief Executive Rupert Murdoch wrote on Twitter on Friday, citing U.S. laws on media ownership.
LONDON/MILAN/FRANKFURT - BSkyB's plan to buy Rupert Murdoch's pay-TV assets in Italy and Germany for perhaps as much as 10 billion euros is a bold bet on long-term growth at the expense of short-term profit, but the pioneering British media firm has pulled off such gambles before.
NEW YORK - Rupert Murdoch looks to have been canny in his $80 billion takeover approach to Time Warner Inc , cornering the media giant at a time when potential "white knight" bidders are busy absorbing their own large deals.
MUMBAI - U.S. private equity firm General Atlantic is in talks to buy a 2 to 5 percent stake each in India's Just Dial Ltd and Info Edge India Ltd , two sources with direct knowledge of the discussions said on Friday.
MUMBAI - Tata Power Company Ltd said on Friday it has signed an option deal to sell a 5 percent stake in coal miner PT Kaltim Prima Coal (KPC) to a unit of Indonesian conglomerate Bakrie Group to reduce debt and improve cash flow.
REUTERS - Oracle Corp said it would buy Micros Systems in a $5.3 billion deal as the world's No.2 business software maker looks to boost flagging growth through acquisitions.
REUTERS - U.S. medical device maker Medtronic Inc said on Sunday it had agreed to buy Covidien Plc for $42.9 billion in cash and stock and move its executive base to Ireland in the latest transaction aiming for lower corporate tax rates abroad.
NEW DELHI - Maruti Suzuki India Ltd, the country's biggest car maker, said it expected a saving of about 105 billion rupees over 15 years by entering into a contract manufacturing agreement with parent Suzuki Motor Corp.
REUTERS - Microblogging platform Twitter Inc has been in talks with Berlin-based audio sharing website SoundCloud in its efforts to add a music service to its offering, the Financial Times reported citing people familiar with the matter.
- Finance: GE credit card unit Synchrony makes muted debut on NYSE
- Technology: Canada's Shaw Communications to buy data center company ViaWest
- Healthcare: Valeant says on hunt for more deals, including contact lenses
- Consumer: Continental raises profit guidance as car demand recovers
- Energy: ConocoPhillips deal propels Oando to Nigeria's top league
- Industrials: Balfour Beatty ends merger talks with Carillion
- M&A: UPDATE 2-Shaw Comms to pay $830 mln for data center company ViaWest
- Bankruptcy: UPDATE 1-ISDA agrees to consider credit event on Argentina CDS
- IPOs: EU names 5 Russian banks banned from raising capital
- Private Capital: UPDATE 2-Hellman & Friedman starts preparations for Scout24 IPO - sources
- Hedge Funds: Investors dump higher oil bets as prices fall
- Regulatory: UPDATE 2-Shaw Comms to pay $830 mln for data center company ViaWest
ONGC, Oil India bid $1.5 bln for stake in Murphy Oil's Malaysia assets - sources Full Article