LONDON/ZURICH - Roche Holding AG has agreed to buy U.S. biotech company InterMune Inc for $8.3 billion in cash, marking the latest multibillion-dollar deal in a consolidating pharmaceutical sector.
COLOMBO/HONG KONG - TPG Capital Management LP has agreed to buy a majority stake in Sri Lanka's Union Bank of Colombo PLC (UBC) for $113 million in the country's biggest buyout deal.
LONDON - U.S. drugmaker AbbVie Inc bought Dublin-based Shire Plc on Friday in a 32 billion pound ($54.7 billion) deal that will allow it to slash its tax bill by relocating to Britain.
LOS ANGELES - Twenty-First Century Fox cannot buy publisher Tribune Co or its Los Angeles Times newspaper, Fox Chief Executive Rupert Murdoch wrote on Twitter on Friday, citing U.S. laws on media ownership.
LONDON/MILAN/FRANKFURT - BSkyB's plan to buy Rupert Murdoch's pay-TV assets in Italy and Germany for perhaps as much as 10 billion euros is a bold bet on long-term growth at the expense of short-term profit, but the pioneering British media firm has pulled off such gambles before.
NEW YORK - Rupert Murdoch looks to have been canny in his $80 billion takeover approach to Time Warner Inc , cornering the media giant at a time when potential "white knight" bidders are busy absorbing their own large deals.
MUMBAI - U.S. private equity firm General Atlantic is in talks to buy a 2 to 5 percent stake each in India's Just Dial Ltd and Info Edge India Ltd , two sources with direct knowledge of the discussions said on Friday.
MUMBAI - Tata Power Company Ltd said on Friday it has signed an option deal to sell a 5 percent stake in coal miner PT Kaltim Prima Coal (KPC) to a unit of Indonesian conglomerate Bakrie Group to reduce debt and improve cash flow.
REUTERS - Oracle Corp said it would buy Micros Systems in a $5.3 billion deal as the world's No.2 business software maker looks to boost flagging growth through acquisitions.
REUTERS - U.S. medical device maker Medtronic Inc said on Sunday it had agreed to buy Covidien Plc for $42.9 billion in cash and stock and move its executive base to Ireland in the latest transaction aiming for lower corporate tax rates abroad.
- Finance: Siam Commercial Bank in talks to sell 25 percent stake in insurance unit: sources
- Technology: Telecom Italia postpones sale of Telecom Argentina stake to Sept. 25
- Healthcare: Australia says to sell Medibank in December listing
- Consumer: KKR sells final stake in China Modern Dairy for about $80 million: source
- Energy: Exclusive: India's Reliance plans $13 billion projects including new refinery
- Industrials: Akzo Nobel CEO solicited for Axalta bid worth more than $7 billion: Bloomberg
- M&A: UPDATE 1-Market Chatter-Corporate finance press digest
- Bankruptcy: Doubts over whether Detroit bankruptcy plan gets job done
- IPOs: UPDATE 1-Market Chatter-Corporate finance press digest
- Private Capital: Akzo Nobel CEO solicited for Axalta bid worth more than $7 bln -Bloomberg
- Hedge Funds: Risk-averse UK investors slash equity holdings in August
- Regulatory: UK Stocks-Factors to watch on September 2