BEIJING As China's economy notches up another quarter of steady growth, the pace of credit creation grows ever more frantic for every extra unit of production, as inefficient state firms swallow an increasing share of lending.
SAN FRANCISCO A quartet of technology heavyweights will be part of an avalanche of quarterly corporate earnings reports next week that, along with a meeting of Federal Reserve policymakers, could hold the key to whether Wall Street extends its record-breaking rally or loses steam.
FRANKFURT Central banks from Washington to Tokyo take center stage next week, although policymakers are likely to remain cautious as they wait for the dust to settle from Britain's shock vote to leave the EU.
CHENGDU, China Japanese Finance Minister Taro Aso said on Saturday that he was closely watching China's economy and declines in the yuan as the impact of Britain's vote to leave the European Union dominated a gathering of the Group of 20 leading economies.
CHENGDU, China The world's leading economies will do more to lift global growth and share the benefits more broadly, top policymakers said on Saturday as they sought to deal with fallout from Britain's Brexit vote and counter dissatisfaction with globalization.
CHENGDU, China Britain was unprepared for the outcome of the referendum to leave the European Union and so should be given time to respond, but it should not take too long because of the damaging uncertainty, French Finance Minister Michel Sapin said.
* Indexes up: Dow 0.29 pct, S&P 0.46 pct, Nasdaq 0.52 pct (Updates with close of U.S. market)
LONDON, July 22 European stock markets fell on Friday, weighed down by a drop in the shares of mining companies and a fall at Swedish construction company Skanska.
* STOXX up off post-Brexit lows, but still down 7 pct in 2016
July 22 Hong Kong shares finished down on Friday as Asian shares slid after weak corporate earnings halted Wall Street's record run.
Asia/Pacific Market Reports
Americas Market Reports
Europe Market Reports
- Gold: PRECIOUS-Gold slips on nervousness over Fed policy outlook
- Oil Report: UPDATE 5-Residents flee as wildfire threatens homes in foothills near Los Angeles
- US Dollar Report: FOREX-Dollar hits 4-month high as strong U.S. data contrast UK, euro zone weakness
- British Pound Report: UPDATE 2-Sterling slides after British PMIs point to contraction