Global Markets News
LONDON/NEW YORK - Equity markets worldwide extended the week's rally on Friday, and oil prices rebounded from recent lows as traders said investors were starting to reduce exposure as the end of year approaches.
NEW YORK - The U.S. dollar rose against major currencies for a third straight session on Friday on diverging monetary policy between the Federal Reserve and other major central banks.
MOSCOW - Russia's lower house of parliament hastily approved a draft law on Friday that would give the banking sector a capital boost of up to 1 trillion rubles ($16.5 billion).
LONDON - Brent crude oil rose above $60 a barrel on Friday, rallying from near a 5-1/2-year low as investors squared books ahead of the year-end festive break after six months of falling prices.
- The Federal Reserve is creating "unacceptable" downside risks to U.S. inflation by signaling it will gradually remove monetary stimulus next year despite low inflation, Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank Narayana Kocherlakota said on Friday.
(Starting on Mon, Dec. 22, our MARKET EYES for stocks will be renamed as BUZZ in line with global editorial changes)
PARIS, Dec 19 - European stocks climbed early on Friday, with French information technology services firm Atos SE leading a rally in tech stocks after unveiling a deal to buy Xerox Corp's IT outsourcing arm.
* Air France tumbles after third profit warning (Recasts, adds details, quote)
HONG KONG, Dec 19 - Hong Kong shares finished up on Friday, climbing for a second day heartened by the prospect that U.S. interest rates will stay low for a while.
Asia/Pacific Market Reports
Americas Market Reports
Europe Market Reports
- Gold: PRECIOUS-Gold below $1,200/oz on dollar, shares; heads for weekly loss
- Oil Report: U.S. plans to shut royalty loophole on coal exports
- US Dollar Report: FOREX-Dollar inches higher on diverging central bank policies
- British Pound Report: Sterling hits 3-week low vs euro as UK inflation falls sharply