Global Markets News
NEW YORK - Stocks fell on Tuesday, dropping in a broad selloff as a weak outlook from courier company UPS weighed on sentiment and pressured transportation stocks.
TOKYO - Asian shares touched a six-and-half-year peak while the dollar held steady against the euro on Wednesday, as investors awaited key U.S. data as well as a U.S. Federal Reserve meeting that some believe might result in a more hawkish policy outlook.
SYDNEY - The U.S. dollar hovered at a six-month peak against a basket of major currencies early on Wednesday, having pushed higher as investors continued to give the euro a wide berth.
TOKYO - Tokyo shares rose to a fresh six-month closing high on Tuesday, buoyed by a weaker yen and robust earnings from blue chips like Nissan Motor Co, suggesting some sectors were weathering the impact of a recent sales tax hike.
LONDON - Britain's main equity index was little changed on Monday, helped by solid results from consumer-goods company Reckitt Benckiser and strong data about Chinese corporate profits.
- Bond issuance volumes from sub-Saharan African have already surpassed last year's levels with the promise of more to come.
* Shares in India's Bharti Airtel Ltd surge 5 percent * Bharti's June-quarter net profit adjusted for exceptional items, including tax provisions, beats estimates. * Investors say Bharti shares are providing attractive entry, being up 11.8 percent in 2014 so far, underperforming NSE index returns of 22.8 percent. (firstname.lastname@example.orgemail@example.com om)
EDINBURGH, July 29 - European shares rose on Tuesday, with encouraging corporate results giving the stock market a boost to recoup the previous session's losses.
LONDON, July 29 - European equities climbed on Tuesday, with strong earnings reports from companies such as engineer GKN and retailer Next outpacing the threat to the region's economy from further sanctions against Russia.
TOKYO, Dec 19 - Japan's Nikkei share average is set to test eight-month highs above 10,000 on Wednesday as investor appetite is boosted by signs of progress in the U.S. fiscal talks and expectations of aggressive monetary easing under the new Japanese government. Market players said the Nikkei was likely to trade between 9,950 to 10,100 on Wednesday, after Nikkei futures in Chicago closed at 10,030, up 90 points from the close in Osaka of 9,940. If the Nikkei tops the 10,000
HONG KONG, July 29 - Hong Kong's benchmark index ended at its highest in more than 3-1/2 years on Tuesday, as gains accelerated in the afternoon with property developers strong ahead of interim earnings.
Asia/Pacific Market Reports
Americas Market Reports
Europe Market Reports
- Gold: PRECIOUS-Gold treads water below $1,300 as Fed, economic data eyed
- Oil Report: UPDATE 1-India's Piramal, Dutch APG tie up for $1 bln India infra investment
- US Dollar Report: FOREX-Dollar steady near 6-month peak ahead of GDP and Fed tests
- British Pound Report: UPDATE 2-Investors start pricing in Scotland vote risk for sterling