SAN FRANCISCO After raging over the southern United States and Puerto Rico, remnants of hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria are now dampening U.S. corporate profits.
NEW YORK World stocks advanced, bond yields rose and the U.S. dollar strengthened on Friday on increased hopes President Donald Trump could make progress on his fiscal plans after the U.S. Senate approved a budget blueprint that paves the way for tax cuts.
WASHINGTON The U.S. budget deficit widened to $666 billion for the fiscal year 2017 as record spending more than offset record receipts, the Treasury Department said on Friday.
WASHINGTON President Donald Trump is considering nominating Federal Reserve Governor Jerome Powell and Stanford University economist John Taylor for the central bank's top two jobs, in an apparent bid to reassure markets and appease conservatives hungry for change.
WASHINGTON Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen said on Friday that asset purchases and other unconventional policy tools must remain part of the Fed's arsenal as long as the economy remains stuck in a low interest-rate economy.
NEW YORK Investors awaiting the nomination of the next Federal Reserve chair are hoping whoever is nominated pursues the same monetary policy that has supported rising stock prices for the past nine years.
* Publicis, Unilever, Kion Q3 disappoint (Updates prices at close, adds detail and quote)
Oct 20 Hong Kong shares rebounded sharply on Friday, as investors scrambled for bargains among stocks bruised from the previous session's sell-off, which was triggered by the Chinese central bank chief's reference to a "Minsky moment".
Asia/Pacific Market Reports
Americas Market Reports
Europe Market Reports
- Gold: PRECIOUS-Gold falls as hopes of U.S. tax reform boost riskier assets
- Oil Report: Graft probe into Mexico president's ally poses tricky challenge ahead of elections
- US Dollar Report: FOREX-Dollar rises vs safe havens after U.S. Senate clears way for tax reform
- British Pound Report: Sterling bounces back, boosted by progress in Brexit talks