Global Markets News
NEW YORK - Even if data next week shows a mediocre rebound in U.S. economic growth, that might be enough to keep the stock market aloft at record highs and the Federal Reserve steadfast in its winding down of stimulus through bond purchases.
NEW YORK - Some disappointing U.S. earnings, including Amazon.com, and weak German economic data pressured world stock markets on Friday, while the euro hit an eight-month low against the U.S. dollar. | Video
NEW YORK - U.S. stocks closed lower on Friday in a broad consumer discretionary-led selloff after Visa and Amazon, a pair of closely watched bellwether names, reported disappointing results.
NEW YORK - The U.S. dollar hit an eight-month high against the euro on Friday after weak data on German business sentiment heightened concerns that geopolitical tensions were weighing on the euro zone economy.
- Goldman Sachs downgraded its global equities allocation to neutral on a short-term basis on Friday, even though the brokerage remains overweight stocks for the longer term.
- A trading suspension in the stock of little-known Cynk Technology, which mysteriously surged 20,000 percent before the halt, ends late on Thursday, but do not expect to see the stock trading again on Friday.
* RBS gains 13.5 percent after unexpected surge to profit
TOKYO, Dec 19 - Japan's Nikkei share average is set to test eight-month highs above 10,000 on Wednesday as investor appetite is boosted by signs of progress in the U.S. fiscal talks and expectations of aggressive monetary easing under the new Japanese government. Market players said the Nikkei was likely to trade between 9,950 to 10,100 on Wednesday, after Nikkei futures in Chicago closed at 10,030, up 90 points from the close in Osaka of 9,940. If the Nikkei tops the 10,000
HONG KONG, July 25 - Hong Kong's benchmark share index rose 0.3 percent on Friday, closing at its highest level in more than three years, buoyed by stronger China markets.
Asia/Pacific Market Reports
Americas Market Reports
- Gold: PRECIOUS-Gold up on Ukraine, short-covering; posts weekly loss
- Oil Report: UPDATE 5-EU edges to economic sanctions on Russia but narrows scope
- US Dollar Report: CORRECTED-FOREX-U.S. dollar hits 8-month high against euro on weak German Ifo
- British Pound Report: UPDATE 2-Investors start pricing in Scotland vote risk for sterling