Global Markets News
NEW YORK - U.S. stocks were little changed on Monday after a decisive Greek election victory by the leftist Syriza party spurred concern over fresh instability in the euro zone, even as the possibility of Greece leaving the bloc was considered remote.
NEW YORK - Oil prices were up for a second straight day on Monday ahead of the first major snowstorm expected this year in the U.S. Northeast.
WASHINGTON - The U.S. budget deficit will decline slightly to $468 billion this fiscal year from $483 billion last year, the Congressional Budget Office said on Monday in a report that marks the end to an era of dramatically falling deficits.
NEW YORK - The euro rebounded from two days of sharp losses on Monday, even as an anti-bailout party was victorious in Greek elections, while global stock indexes edged up on confidence in the European Central Banks's new money-printing program. | Video
MOSCOW - Ratings agency S&P cut Russia's sovereign credit rating to below investment grade, or "junk" status, on Monday for the first time in a decade.
LONDON - Doubts grew on Monday about the validity of trades in the turmoil that followed this month's removal of the cap on the Swiss franc, with administrators of Alpari UK saying they were taking another look at the retail broker's trades.
* Dow down 0.2 pct, S&P 500 off 0.1 pct, Nasdaq up 0.4 pct (Updates to early afternoon)
PARIS, Jan 26 - Top Greek shares slumped more than 5 percent at the open on Monday after Greece's Syriza party promised to roll back austerity measures in the wake of its victory in a snap election.
* QE optimism contains damage in markets (Updates with closing prices)
Jan 26 - Hong Kong shares inched up on Monday to notch a fifth consecutive day of gains, shrugging off renewed concerns over potential instability in the euro zone after an anti-austerity party won the Greek general election.
Asia/Pacific Market Reports
Americas Market Reports
Europe Market Reports
- Gold: PRECIOUS-Gold price dips as equities recover following Greek vote
- Oil Report: UPDATE 1-Attacks on civilians in Mariupol, Ukraine were war crime-UN
- US Dollar Report: FOREX-Euro rebounds off lows following Greek vote
- British Pound Report: Sterling hits seven-year high vs euro as ECB unleashes QE