HONG KONG Asian stock markets stabilized near three-month highs on Wednesday, helped by Hong Kong and Chinese shares, as investors judged U.S. President-elect Donald Trump's concerns over a stronger dollar to be beneficial to some of the regional bourses.
SINGAPORE Oil prices rose on Wednesday with a weaker dollar underpinning the market, although gains were limited by expectations that U.S. producers would boost output.
BEIJING More than 80 percent of members of a U.S. business lobby in China say foreign companies are less welcome than in the past, a survey released on Wednesday showed, with most saying they have little confidence in China's vows to open its markets.
TOKYO The dollar took a breather on Wednesday after falling to a seven-week low against the yen as investors await Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen's speech on monetary policy, while sterling gave back some of the previous session's rally.
SACRAMENTO San Francisco Federal Reserve Bank President John Williams on Tuesday called for gradual U.S. interest-rate hikes over the next few years to keep the economy from overheating and ultimately falling into recession.
BEIJING China's economy will likely expand 6.5 percent this year as authorities tolerate a further slowdown so they can focus on containing increasing financial risks, but a weakening yuan will complicate their policy choices, a Reuters poll showed.
* Dec quarter net profit 4.1 million rupees versus profit 317,000 rupees year ago
* Lufthansa surges on reports of Etihad talks (ADVISORY- Follow European and UK stock markets in real time on the Reuters Live Markets blog on Eikon - see cpurl://apps.cp./cms/?pageId=livemarkets) Adds details, closing prices)
SHANGHAI, Jan 18 China's main stock indexes rose on Wednesday as some industrial heavyweights forecast sharply higher profits for 2016, but small caps wobbled near a 16-month low.
Asia/Pacific Market Reports
Americas Market Reports
- Gold: PRECIOUS-Gold slips from 8-week highs on dollar recovery
- Oil Report: Novozymes cuts 198 jobs, to invest more in emerging markets
- US Dollar Report: FOREX-Dollar pulls away from lows as investors await Yellen speech
- British Pound Report: RPT-Brexit outline gives pound something to cling to - for now