Global Markets News
LONDON - European stock markets made solid starts to the second quarter on Wednesday as data pointing to a gradual recovery in the euro zone economy gave investors fresh impetus after their blowout first few months of the year.
LONDON - Brent crude oil futures slipped below $55 a barrel on Wednesday on speculation that a last-minute deal over Iran's nuclear program would be reached, opening the way for more Iranian crude to come into world markets.
BEIJING/SHANGHAI - Surveys of China's factory and services sectors showed stubborn weakness in the world's second-biggest economy in March, adding to bets that Beijing will have to roll out more policy support to avert a sharper slowdown. | Video
LONDON - The dollar fell back on Wednesday as a soft reading on Japanese business sentiment dented Tokyo shares but helped bolster the yen, while some improvement in Chinese data offered support to the Australian and New Zealand dollars.
- Companies struggled in China and much of the rest of Asia in March, suggesting central banks may have to resort to more stimulus, just as factories in the euro zone begin to reap rewards from ultra-easy policy there.
SHANGHAI - China's newly announced deposit insurance scheme could pressure margins at struggling state-owned banking giants, but the country's small lenders still have their work cut out to take market share from the big players.
MUMBAI, April 1 - Hero Motocorp Ltd, India's largest maker of motorcycles and scooters, said on Wednesday its sales for the year ended March 31 rose 6.2 percent from a year earlier to 6.63 million units.
PARIS, April 1 - European shares reversed early losses and rose on Wednesday, starting the new quarter on a positive note, helped by data showing manufacturing activity across the euro zone accelerated faster than previously thought last month.
HONG KONG, April 1 - Hong Kong stocks rose on Wednesday after a better-than-expected Chinese factory activity survey, with start-up shares surging after China allowed insurers to invest in the city's Growth Enterprise Market (GEM).
Asia/Pacific Market Reports
Americas Market Reports
- Gold: PRECIOUS-Gold edges lower after downbeat March, awaits U.S. jobs data
- Oil Report: EU regulators plan to stress test power sector
- US Dollar Report: FOREX -Dollar dips, market struggles for direction before US jobs data
- British Pound Report: Sterling slips as political worries overshadow strong UK data