* National Stock Exchange will reduce the securities transaction tax (STT) on equity futures to 0.01 percent from 0.017 percent from June 1, NSE said in a statement. * Purchases of a unit in an equity-oriented fund will not attract any STT compared to 0.1 percent earlier, while sale of such units would have STT of 0.001 percent versus 0.1 percent previously, the NSE said. * These changes in the STT were included in the budget unveiled for 2012/13 that has subsequently been passed by parliament.
GLOBAL MARKETS ROUNDUP * Asian shares opened cautiously higher on Friday with Tokyo's Nikkei steadying from its biggest one-day drop in two years as investors breathed a sigh of relief when Wall Street cut losses on an upbeat outlook from Hewlett-Packard. * The dollar recovered from two-week lows against the yen on Friday as a safety-bid for the Japanese currency ebbed after the Nikkei share average rebounded from the previous day's 7.3-percent plunge and Wall Street regained some stab
* BSE index gains 0.15 pct; NSE up 0.28 pct * Sun Pharma falls after unit's earnings disappoint By Abhishek Vishnoi MUMBAI, May 24 - Indian shares snapped a four-day losing streak to edge higher on Friday, rebounding as Tata Steel surged after its March-quarter operating profit beat analyst estimates and as recently beaten-down blue-chips such as Larsen & Toubro recovered. Sentiment improved after foreign institutional investors extended their record net purchases of I
* India will release January-March quarter GDP on Friday, which is expected to confirm the economy grew at its slowest pace in a decade in the 2012/13 fiscal year. * GDP data should also show whether the economy has gained some traction after the government's reforms moves and RBI's rate cuts. * Investors will also be eyeing whether strong foreign buying continues. * Foreign institutional investors extended their record net purchases of Indian stocks to a 26th consecutive sessions on Thursday,
MUMBAI, May 24 - Indian shares snapped a 4-day losing streak to edge higher on Friday, rebounding as Tata Steel surged after its March-quarter operating profit beat analyst estimates and as recently beaten-down blue chips such as Larsen & Toubro recovered.
* India's main BSE index gains 0.17 percent and the broader NSE index is up 0.31 percent, in a volatile session after four days of declines. * Tata Steel Ltd shares gain 4 percent after its January-March quarterly operating profit beat analysts' estimates. * Larsen & Toubro Ltd climbs 3 percent as sell-off in the previous two sessions were seen as overdone. L&T shares slipped 12 percent in the last two sessions on lingering disappointment over its January-March profit and outlook. * Sun Pharm
* Shares in United Breweries Holdings Ltd jump 9.9 percent after CNBC-TV18 and ET Now reported the Karnataka High Court has allowed UBHL to sell its shares in group company United Spirits to Diageo Plc to complete the long-pending deal. * UBHL is the holding company for a group of companies controlled by Vijay Mallya, including Kingfisher Airlines Ltd , and the sale of shares would help Mallya finalise the transfer of a controlling stake in United Spirits to Diageo. * UBHL owned 15.7 percen
* India's main BSE index gains 0.19 percent and the broader NSE index is up 0.27 , in a volatile session after four days of declines. * Tata Steel Ltd shares rise 4 percent after its January-March quarterly operating profit beat analysts' estimates. * Larsen & Toubro Ltd climbs 3 percent as sell-off in the previous two sessions were seen as overdone. L&T shares slipped 12 percent in the last two sessions on lingering disappointment over its January-March profit and outlook. * Sun Pharmaceut
* Shares in Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd fall 3 percent after its unit Taro Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd posted a lower-than-expected January-March net profit, dealers say. * New York-listed Taro said quarterly net profit rose to $49.2 million from $47.3 million a year earlier. Earnings were impacted by settlements and loss contingencies of $22 million, which the company said was "related to certain price reporting litigation". * Taro did not provide more specifics about the litigation
MUMBAI, May 24 - Shares in India's Wockhardt Ltd plummeted as much as 19.3 percent on Friday to their lowest since August 2012, continuing to reel for the second day, after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration imposed an "import alert" on a plant operated by the generic drugmaker.
All Indian Indices
|Symb||Index||Mkt Report||Time||Last||Chg||Chg %|
|.BSESN||BSE Sensex||24 May 2013||19,704.33||+30.00||+0.15%|
|.NSEI||Nifty||24 May 2013||5,983.55||+16.50||+0.28%|
|.BSEOIL||BSE Oil & Gas||24 May 2013||8,569.29||+7.95||+0.09%|
|.BSEIT||BSE IT||24 May 2013||5,954.82||-44.56||-0.74%|
|.BSEMET||BSE Metals||24 May 2013||8,657.35||+136.76||+1.61%|
|.BSEFMCG||BSE FMCG||24 May 2013||6,659.84||+17.65||+0.27%|
|.BSECG||BSE Capital Goods||24 May 2013||9,589.01||+152.05||+1.61%|
|.BSEBANK||BSE Banking||24 May 2013||14,591.54||+138.68||+0.96%|
|.BSEREAL||BSE Realty||24 May 2013||1,797.62||+13.06||+0.73%|
|.BSEAUTO||BSE Auto||24 May 2013||10,873.02||-4.84||-0.04%|
|.BSEPOWER||BSE Power||24 May 2013||1,746.93||+15.39||+0.89%|
|.BSEHC||BSE Healthcare||24 May 2013||8,729.72||-113.47||-1.28%|
Nifty Most Actives
NEW DELHI - Jet Airways and its smaller rival SpiceJet reported quarterly losses on Friday as fare increases were not sufficient to cover high costs of operations.