Rio Tinto PLC (RIO.L)
19 Dec 2014
|Market Cap (Mil.):||£53,390.07|
|Shares Outstanding (Mil.):||1,849.72|
* Steel, iron ore markets have been hit by massive supply gluts
New York, Dec 17 - A U.S. federal judge on Wednesday refused to dismiss mining giant Rio Tinto's lawsuit against rival Vale, alleging it conspired with Israeli billionaire Beny Steinmetz and BSG Resources to steal the company's valuable mining rights in Guinea.
PARIS - European stocks surrendered early gains on Monday and resumed last week's sharp sell-off as worries about global growth weighed on resource-related companies such as Rio Tinto and BHP Billiton .
* FTSEurofirst 300 up 0.2 pct after losing 5.9 pct last week
* In coming years, confident copper will be in short supply
WASHINGTON/TORONTO - The U.S. Congress has cleared the way for global miners Rio Tinto and BHP Billiton to swap land with the government, which will allow them to build a long-delayed $6 billion copper mine in Arizona.
WASHINGTON/TORONTO, Dec 12 - The U.S. Congress has cleared the way for global miners Rio Tinto and BHP Billiton to swap land with the government, which will allow them to build a long-delayed $6 billion copper mine in Arizona.
* Sees buying opportunities in oil, iron ore, due to weak prices (Modifies headline, adds bullet points)
LONDON - Global mining company Rio Tinto is not looking to make any major acquisition to protect itself from a potential Glencore takeover, Chief Executive Sam Walsh said at a meeting with investors on Thursday.
* Open to offers for some assets at right price (Adds Rio strategy context, iron ore market)