SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico Hurricane Maria lashed parts of the Dominican Republic with heavy rain and high winds and headed northwest in the Caribbean on Thursday after making a direct hit on Puerto Rico that caused severe flooding and cut power to the entire island. | Video
- Mexico races to save 12-year-old girl as quake toll hits 237
- Beijing government pulls winter construction ban from website
- Storm Maria brings fear, pain and shock to Puerto Ricans
- Greenpeace boards ship in bid to stop UK-bound "toxic" VW diesel cars
- New York noise, a top gripe for man, now a risk for endangered whales
Recent Environment News
ABIDJAN At least 10 people have died and another 92 are missing in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo due to flooding after torrential rains caused a river to overflow its banks, a local official said on Wednesday.
A retried Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer was sentenced on Wednesday by a U.S. judge to five years and two months in prison, after pleading guilty to 10 money laundering charges related to a scheme to smuggle Arctic narwhal tusks.
Maria, which weakened into a Category 2 hurricane on Wednesday, could regain major hurricane status by Thursday, the U.S. National Hurricane Center (NHC) said in its latest advisory.
SHANGHAI China will halt major projects in regions with high levels of pollution, the official Xinhua news agency reported late on Wednesday, underscoring an environmental crackdown that is starting to hit business around the country.