AMATRICE, Italy The death toll from a devastating earthquake in central Italy climbed to 250 on Thursday as rescue teams scoured mounds of rubble for a second day in towns and villages flattened by the natural disaster. | Video
- U.N. aviation emissions pact to let states opt out in first phase: sources
- Coastal land expands as construction outpaces sea level rise
- Tornadoes slam central Indiana, demolishing homes |
- Myanmar soldiers, police seal off ancient temples damaged by quake |
- Eastern India struggles to evacuate reluctant villagers as floods wreak havoc
Recent Environment News
ATHENS It is said to be the world's first weather station, to date back more than 2,000 years, and to have been used by merchants to tell the time - even in darkness. | Video
MANILA The Philippines could suspend more mines in a crackdown on environmental abuses that has halted operations of 10 miners, a minister said on Wednesday, dismissing a claim by mineral producers the review was a "demolition campaign" against them.
NEW DELHI A government panel has cleared commercial use of what would be India's first genetically modified (GM) food crop, but politicians still have to give final approvals amid wide-spread public opposition.
WASHINGTON Actors Susan Sarandon, Riley Keough and Shailene Woodley joined members of North Dakota's Standing Rock Sioux Tribe outside a courthouse in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday to protest against construction of a pipeline they say would pollute water and desecrate sacred land.