SEATTLE - Authorities battling dozens of large wildfires along the parched U.S. West Coast are clamping down on Independence Day fireworks displays over fears that wayward sparks could trigger fresh blazes. | Video
- Berlin says utilities can't dodge responsibility for nuclear waste
- U.S. pushes China on ivory trade, wildlife NGOs
- Ecuador, first stop on Pope tour, highlights environment exhortation
- Solar-powered plane lands in Hawaii, pilot sets nonstop record |
- Quake in rural China kills three, damages thousands of homes
Recent Environment News
- U.S. wildlife managers released on Thursday a draft plan for stemming the decline of polar bears threatened by melting Arctic sea ice linked to global warming, but the proposal hinges on reductions in greenhouse gas emissions that are far from assured.
- A coalition of environmental groups filed a lawsuit on Thursday against U.S. wildlife officials arguing that the government's management plan for the endangered Mexican gray wolf, one of the most imperiled mammals in North America, does not go far enough.
TOKYO - Japan's major power firms are seeking to cut greenhouse gas emissions by more than a third by 2030 compared with 2013 levels by relying on nuclear power, the Nikkei business daily reported.
SYDNEY - Australian based Jetstar Airlines has canceled several flights to Bali's Denpasar airport because volcanic ash from the Mount Raung eruption is drifting toward the airport.