KINGSTON, Jamaica Jamaicans were bracing on Saturday for the arrival of Hurricane Matthew, as it approached that island as well as Haiti and Cuba, bringing winds reaching 140 miles per hour (220 kph), powerful enough to wreck homes. | Video
- Magnitude 5.4 quake hits Pakistan, no damage, casualties reported
- Mexico's Colima volcano erupts, local communities evacuated |
- U.S. adds first bees to endangered species list
- EU fast-tracks Paris climate deal to brink of entering into force
- Norway to research ways to capture carbon from industrial plants
Recent Environment News
SINGAPORE An earthquake in the South pacific measuring 5.7 magnitude struck 268 kilometers (166.53 miles) south of the island of Nuku'alofa in the Polynesian state of Tonga, the U.S. Geological Survey reported on Saturday.
MEXICO CITY/TORONTO Protesters blocking access to Goldcorp Inc's Penasquito gold mine in northern Mexico said on Friday they will not leave until there is an agreement with the company on its demands for jobs and compensation for water use and environmental damage.
STOCKHOLM Iceland raised its aviation alert by a notch on Friday after several earthquakes hit one of the country's biggest volcanoes, the strongest tremors since a string of quakes last month raised concerns over a possible eruption.
NAIROBI The campaign to track down poachers and protect endangered species in Africa's embattled reserves is tapping into the technology used in the virtual world of online poker and other computer games.