Nov. 28 - At least 17 people die in Pakistan after drinking suspected toxic cough syrup. Simon Hanna reports.
▲ Hide Transcript
▶ View Transcript
A hospital in the eastern Pakistani city of Lahore treats patients who drank ing after drinking cough syrup suspected of being toxic.
At least 17 people have so far died after taking the cough medicine which is under investigation.
The medical superintendent of this hospital said the victims - mostly men aged 20-35 - drank the syrup as an intoxicant.
(SOUNDBITE) (Urdu) MEDICAL SUPERINTENDENT, MAYO HOSPITAL, LAHORE, DR ZAHID PERVEZ:
"A majority of the victims have a history of being drug addicts. They drank this syrup as a self medication to get high."
But families of the victims said that the syrup was toxic and their relatives died after taking the prescribed dose of the medicine.
Pakistani authorities have banned the sale of the cough syrup and closed three pharmacies as well as arresting the owners of the factory where the mixture was made.
Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code