Reuters - Video

Edition: US | UK | IN | CN | JP

Video

U.S. condemns Egypt violence as death toll rises

Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 01:29

Aug. 14 - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry condemned the violence in Egypt, after nationwide clashes made Wednesday the deadliest day there in decades. Mana Rabiee reports.

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGE "Today's events are deplorable." U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, in no uncertain terms, condemned the violence in Egypt that made Wednesday the bloodiest day there in decades. SOUNDBITE: US SECRETARY OF STATE JOHN KERRY SAYING: "Violence is simply not a solution in Egypt or anywhere else. Violence will not create a roadmap for Egypt's future." The violence began in Cairo when security forces stormed Islamist protesters - supporters of deposed President Mohamed Mursi - who had been camped out for weeks. The clashes spread to other cities -- Alexandria, Ismailia, Suez and elsewhere. Government sources report over 2,000 people were wounded and well over 200 killed - although the opposition Muslim Brotherhood believes the death toll is much higher. The violence threatens to polarize Egypt further, following its 2011 revolution. But Kerry says he's convinced the path to political dialogue remains open. (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. SECRETARY OF STATE JOHN KERRY SAYING: "The final outcome of that revolution is not yet decided. It will be shaped in the hours ahead, in the days ahead. It will be shaped by the decisions which all of Egypt's political leaders make now and in these days ahead." What does lie ahead is emergency law, which the military-backed government announced Wednesday, as well as nighttime curfews for at least a month, it said, or until further notice.

Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code

U.S. condemns Egypt violence as death toll rises

Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 01:29