Reuters - Video

Edition: US | UK | IN | CN | JP

Video

Ataturk airport clean up begins, death toll climbs

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 01:10

The clean up has started at Europe's third-largest airport where a suspected Islamic State attack on Tuesday left at least 41 people dead. Mana Rabiee reports.

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

Turkish investigators are pouring over video footage and witness statements -- after the suicide attack that killed more than 40 people at Ataturk airport, Europe's third-busiest. Inside the airport terminal arrivals hall, the recovery and clean-up has begun. For grieving families, the mourning, too, has just started. Emine Kulakac's brother was badly injured in the assault, one of 240 people left wounded: SOUNDBITE) (TURKISH) EMINE KULAKAC, SISTER OF ATTACK VICTIM, SAYING: "He's in critical condition. They can't intervene because he has shrapnel all over his body." Turkish authorities say the attacks were carried out by three men, believed to be from Islamic State, who began by opening fire, then blew themselves up. It was the deadliest in a series of suicide bombings so far this year in Turkey, a participant in the U.S.-led coalition fighting Islamic State. Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan says the attack should serve as a turning point in the global fight against terrorism which he says... has "no regard for faith or values".

Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code

Ataturk airport clean up begins, death toll climbs

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 01:10