Reuters - Video

Edition: US | UK | IN | CN | JP

video Video

State Dept.: not clear whether all fighters evacuated from Aleppo

Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 00:44

The U.S. State Department spokesman says it's not clear whether all rebel fighters have been evacuated from Aleppo, after Syrian government forces took control of the city. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION) U.S. State Department spokesman John Kirby said on Wednesday (December 21, 2016) that the it was not clear whether all rebel fighters have been evacuated from the Syrian city of Aleppo. At the daily briefing, Kirby he was unaware of any humanitarian aid reaching civilians in the areas of the city that had been held by the rebels. When asked about videos showing rebel fighters still in the city who said they feared for their lives, Kirby said that if they weren't killed by advancing government forces, then "we should all be rejoicing in the fact that they were able to survive and the onslaught and the siege and surrender tactics of the regime and it's backers." Kirby's comments came as Syrian government forces were closing in on the last rebel enclave in the long-embattled city of Aleppo. Earlier, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group said President Bashar al-Assad took control of Aleppo city on Wednesday after the last batch of fighters was evacuated, but a U.N. official in Syria, when asked about the report, said evacuations were still continuing on Wednesday evening.

Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code

State Dept.: not clear whether all fighters evacuated from Aleppo

Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 00:44