Reuters - Video

Edition: US | UK | IN | CN | JP

video Video

14 killed in Boko Haram attack on Nigeria

Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 01:03

An attack by Boko Haram jihadists on the northern Nigerian city of Maiduguri killed 14 people and wounded 24 others. It's said to be the group's most serious assault on the northeastern city in a year and a half. Pascale Davies reports.

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

The sound of explosions and gunfire ringing out in the Nigerian town of Maiduguri on Wednesday (June 7). The Islamist militant group Boko Haram thought to be behind the attack. At least 14 people killed, with the death toll expected to rise. It's said to be the group's most serious assault on the north-eastern city in a year and a half. Thousands of civilians have fled the capital of Borno state, which has been the epicentre of the eight year fight against Boko Haram. The raid comes just six months after President Muhammadu Buhari had said the militant group had been defeated. That after a military campaign that pushed many of the jihadists back to the border with Cameroon. More than 20,000 people have been killed in Boko Haram's campaign to establish a caliphate in the Lake Chad basin. 2.7 million more displaced, creating one of the world's largest humanitarian emergencies.

Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code

14 killed in Boko Haram attack on Nigeria

Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 01:03