April 9, 2018 / 12:49 PM / 11 days ago

Alleged fraud against Angola aimed to take $1.5 bln - Finance Ministry

LUANDA, April 9 (Reuters) - A scheme to defraud the Angolan government, allegedly involving the son of former president, Jose Filomeno dos Santos, dates back to before elections in August last year and aimed to secure $1.5 billion, the Finance Ministry said on Monday.

In a statement, the ministry said those involved in the fraud claimed the money would secure financing for Angola of $35 billion. Angolan prosecutors have named Jose Filomeno dos Santos and former central bank governor Valter Filipe da Silva as suspects in the case. (Reporting by Stephen Eisenhammer Editing by Joe Brock)

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below