SINGAPORE, April 30 (Reuters) - Most industrial metals fell on Tuesday, after data showed growth in China’s factory activity unexpectedly slowed in April, suggesting the economy is still struggling to regain traction. China’s official Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) fell to 50.1 in April from 50.5 in March, lower than analysts’ expectation that the PMI would be unchanged from March’s reading, pointing to continued but modest expansion despite a flurry of support measures.
* Three-month copper on the London Metal Exchange eased 0.1 percent to $6389 a tonne by 0208 GMT, while nickel fell 0.2 percent, zinc was down 0.2 percent and lead decreased 0.3 percent.
* Shanghai copper edged up 0.2 percent to 48,930 yuan ($7,264.93) a tonne, aluminium rose 0.2 percent, nickel was down 0.2 percent and zinc advanced 0.8 percent.
* Russian aluminium giant Rusal has appointed Charles Brian Hesse the head of its office in the United States at a time when it is trying to strengthen its presence in North America, the firm said in a statement.
* China’s five largest state-owned banks posted modest first-quarter profit growth, though slightly below expectations, as policymakers pushed lenders to make more loans to support the slowing economy.
* For the top stories in metals and other news, click or
* Shares in Asia fell as readings on China’s manufacturing activity failed to meet expectations, underscoring weakness in the world’s second-largest economy despite Beijing’s attempts to spur growth.
0530 France GDP Preliminary QQ Q1
0645 France CPI (EU Norm) Prelim YY April
0755 Germany Unemployment Chg SA April
0755 Germany Unemployment Rate SA April
0900 EU GDP Flash Prelim YY QQ Q1
0900 EU Unemployment Rate March
1200 Germany CPI Prelim YY April
1200 Germany HICP Prelim YY April
1400 US Consumer Confidence April
U.S. Federal Reserve’s Federal Open Market Committee
to commence its two-day meeting on interest rates
Three month LME copper
Most active ShFE copper
Three month LME aluminium
Most active ShFE aluminium
Three month LME zinc
Most active ShFE zinc
Three month LME lead
Most active ShFE lead
Three month LME nickel
Most active ShFE nickel
Three month LME tin
Most active ShFE tin
ARBS ($1 = 6.7351 Chinese yuan renminbi)
Reporting by Mai Nguyen; Editing by Rashmi Aich