Reuters logo
REFILE-Death toll in Mumbai building collapse rises to 33
September 1, 2017 / 5:00 AM / 3 months ago

REFILE-Death toll in Mumbai building collapse rises to 33

(Refiles to fix story link in paragraph 3)

MUMBAI, Sept 1 (Reuters) - Rescuers in India’s financial capital sifted rubble on Friday in a desperate search for survivors of the collapse of an 117-year-old condemned building, as the toll from the disaster rose to 33.

There was no reliable estimate of those still missing in the second such collapse in a little over a month, which came as Mumbai recovered from two days of floods brought by heavy monsoon rains.

A total of 46 people have been pulled from the rubble since the collapse early on Thursday morning, 33 of whom have been declared dead, the chief fire official said.

“Rescue operations are continuing,” said P.S. Rahangdale, adding that 14 fire and rescue officials had been injured in the effort. “Fire engines, rescue vans and ambulances are still at the site.”

Police have yet to determine what caused the crumbling of the building in a densely-populated area of the city, many of whose residents had stayed on even after authorities declared it unsafe in 2011.

People had been reluctant to leave because they had not received details of alternative housing, some residents of the area said. (Reporting by Swati Bhat and Rajendra Jadhav; Editing by Rafael Nam and Clarence Fernandez)

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below