May 23, 2018 / 10:10 AM / 3 months ago

Soccer: Dyche will not 'overfill' Burnley squad for Europe campaign

(Reuters) - Burnley need to carefully consider who to add to their squad ahead of their European campaign or risk upsetting the balance of the team, the Premier League club’s manager Sean Dyche said.

Soccer Football - Premier League - Burnley vs AFC Bournemouth - Turf Moor, Burnley, Britain - May 13, 2018 Burnley manager Sean Dyche salutes their fans during a lap of honour after the match Action Images via Reuters/Craig Brough

Burnley finished seventh last season for their best top-flight finish since 1974 and ensured a return to European football after a 51-year absence.

Dyche is well aware of the need to reinforce his team for multiple competitions as the Europa League comes with the prospect of many more games should the Clarets reach the group stage.

“We have to be mindful not to overfill the club, because you lose some of the attention and detail we want to put on players, for them to continue maturing,” Dyche told the Burnley Express.

“We’re still working at 23 outfield players, which is quite high for us, so we don’t want to overfill it, but the main thing is the quality of the players.

“There’s a fine balance. I spoke to managers at bigger clubs and they had to thin down their squads. I don’t think we’re there yet, but you do think ‘how many do we actually need?’”

Dyche’s team have managed to punch above their weight largely due to their manager’s practical approach, which relies on defensive solidity and teamwork rather than individual skill.

The 46-year-old has previously stated his desire to stick to the same principles as Burnley play in Europe for the first time since their 1966-67 appearance in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup. [nL8N1SB6JK]

Dyche is confident his current squad can handle the additional physical burden next season.

“I personally don’t like the idea of rotation, I like the idea of picking a team that can win, that’s my focus,” he added.

Burnley will enter the Europa League second qualifying stage with their campaign set to begin in July.

Reporting by Shrivathsa Sridhar in Bengaluru; Editing by John O'Brien

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below