(Reuters) - Burnley striker Jon Walters could be out for up to eight weeks after undergoing minor knee surgery, manager Sean Dyche said on Thursday.
Walters missed three months of the season after suffering a knee injury in September and the operation, which is necessary to repair a split in his cartilage, is a big blow to the Ireland international who is eager for game time.
The 34-year-old has made three league appearances as a substitute for Burnley since signing from Stoke City in the close season and last featured in the 4-1 FA Cup defeat by Manchester City earlier this month.
“Jon Walters has had a minor tidy-up in his knee,” Dyche told reporters ahead of Saturday’s Premier League game against second-placed Manchester United.
“There was a very small split in the cartilage. It was annoying him, so the decision was made, from himself as well, because he’s old and wise enough, to get that tidied up.
“At his age he knows when it’s right or wrong, so he and the surgeon decided it was best to do it... With good management we felt Jon would be okay, but unfortunately he has missed a lot of time and continues to do so.”
Forward Chris Wood and defender Stephen Ward are also out with knee injuries for the visit of United but midfielder Scott Arfield could return to the team after missing two games with a hamstring problem.
Burnley, who are seventh in the table with 34 points after nine wins, seven draws and seven defeats, are without a victory in six league games.
Reporting by Shrivathsa Sridhar in Bengaluru; Editing by Toby Davis