* Chelsea defeated Southampton 1-0 at Stamford Bridge
* Marcos Alonso scored the only goal from a free kick
* Chelsea consolidated third place in the Premier League
* Southampton’s winless run stretched to five matches
* Chelsea visit Everton next; Southampton host Huddersfield Town (Adds detail of Chelsea’s points total)
Dec 16 (Reuters) - Chelsea consolidated third place in the Premier League with a 1-0 win over Southampton at Stamford Bridge on Saturday, thanks to a Marcos Alonso goal.
Alonso scored the only goal of the game by curling a long-range free kick past goalkeeper Fraser Forster and into the bottom corner in the third minute of first-half injury time.
Chelsea dominated the match for long periods and would have won by a greater margin had Forster not made a string of impressive saves.
Southampton improved after sending on Charlie Austin for Manolo Gabbiadini in the second half but they were unable to snatch an equaliser.
The result extended a poor run of form for Mauricio Pellegrino’s side, who have now gone five matches without a win in the Premier League and have dropped to 12th in the standings.
Chelsea have moved on to 38 points, level with second-placed Manchester United, who visit West Bromwich Albion on Sunday. (Reporting by Matt Westby; editing by Clare Fallon)