* Everton beat Newcastle 1-0 in mid-table game at Goodison Park
* Hosts moved up to eighth, their highest position this season
* Everton took the lead through Theo Walcott in the 51st minute
* Moments earlier Newcastle’s Ayoze Perez missed a great chance
* Everton visit Huddersfield next, Newcastle host West Brom
By Simon Evans
LIVERPOOL, England April 23 (Reuters) - Everton’s Theo Walcott struck just after halftime to secure a 1-0 home win over Newcastle United on Monday that took the Merseyiders up to eighth in the Premier League, their highest position this season.
After an uneventful opening half at Goodison Park, Ayoze Perez should have put the visitors ahead in the 50th minute but shot wide of Jordan Pickford’s goal after being put through by Brazilian Kenedy.
Moments later, Everton went in front when Yannick Bolasie whipped in a deep cross from the right and former Arsenal winger Walcott brought the ball down before taking his time to fire home the winner and lift them to 45 points from 35 games.
Tenth-placed Newcastle had plenty of late pressure, as they searched for a point that would mathematically ensure their top- flight survival, but they were unable to create an opening and remain on 41 points, 12 above the relegation zone. (Reporting by Simon Evans; Editing by Ken Ferris)