* Chelsea lost their final game 3-0 at Newcastle
* The Londoners missed out on next season’s Champions League
* Last year’s champions made eight changes for the match
* Dwight Gayle opened the scoring for Newcastle after 23 minutes
* Ayoze Perez extended the lead and scored a third soon after
* The win ended a run of four defeats for Newcastle
May 13 (Reuters)-Chelsea were denied a place in next season’s Champions League when they were well beaten 3-0 at Newcastle as Liverpool easily beat Brighton.
It left last year’s champions with only Saturday’s FA Cup final against Manchester United to redeem a season in which they have finished a poor fifth.
Manager Antonio Conte made eight changes with the final in mind and saw an unimpressive performance.
Newcastle deservedly ended a run of four successive defeats under former Chelsea manager Rafa Benitez to earn a top-10 finish.
Dwight Gayle scored the opening goal in the first half and Spanish striker Ayoze Perez added the second and third after the break. (Reporting by Steve Tongue Editing by Ian Chadband)