* Southampton and Stoke City play out 0-0 draw at St. Mary’s
* Stoke striker Mame Diouf taken off in first half with injury
* Badou Ndiaye and Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting missed chances for Stoke
* Sofiane Boufal and Josh Sims failed to score for Southampton
* Stoke remain 19th in the standings while Southampton drop to 17th
* Stoke play Manchester City next; Southampton travel to Newcastle United
March 3 (Reuters) - Southampton were held to a 0-0 draw by Stoke City on Saturday with both teams missing opportunities to get crucial points as they fight for Premier League survival.
Stoke started the first half brightly but failed to create clear-cut chances, allowing Southampton back into the game as both teams struggled to make their mark in the final third and midfielder Badou Ndiaye missed the Potters’ best chance to take the lead.
Southampton were dominant in the second half and created numerous scoring opportunities, with Sofiane Boufal and Josh Sims among those to misfire shots from inside the box, as the Saints piled on the pressure but to no avail.
The result means second-from-bottom Stoke could drift further away from safety as Swansea City beat West Ham United and Crystal Palace play Manchester United on Monday, while Southampton hover a point and a place above the bottom three. (Reporting by Aditi Prakash in Bengaluru; Editing by Clare Fallon)