* Tottenham beat Watford 2-0 at Wembley Stadium
* Comfortable win opens gap on fifth-placed Chelsea
* Dele Alli put Spurs ahead after 16 minutes
* Goal came from error by keeper Orestis Karnezis
* Kane struck their second just after the break
* Vertonghen hit the post with 68th minute header
* Spurs at West Brom next, Watford host Newcastle TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR 2 WATFORD 0
LONDON, April 30 (Reuters) - Tottenham Hotspur’s England duo Harry Kane and Dele Alli fired them to a comfortable 2-0 win over mid-table Watford that cemented their place in the top four at Wembley on Monday.
The win put fourth-placed Spurs five points clear of Chelsea with three games remaining and within a point of Liverpool, who have two matches left, in the race for Champions League spots.
Tottenham took the lead after 16 minutes when Watford keeper Orestis Karnezis spilled a cross from Kieran Trippier and Christian Eriksen scooped the ball to Alli who had the simple task of stroking the ball home from near the penalty spot.
Kane put Spurs two goals ahead in the 48th when he tucked away a cross from the right by Trippier and they almost had a third when Jan Vertonghen hit the post with a late header. (Writing by Ken Ferris; Editing by Pritha Sarkar)