Reuters logo
France was unaware of existence of Barcelona attack cell - minister
August 22, 2017 / 7:10 AM / 3 months ago

France was unaware of existence of Barcelona attack cell - minister

PARIS (Reuters) - French authorities were unaware of the existence of the cell which carried out last week’s attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils, said interior minister Gerard Collomb.

An impromptu memorial for the victims of the Barcelona attack is seen at Blanquerna Cultural Centre in Madrid, Spain, August 21, 2017. REUTERS/Juan Medina

“We did not know them, they were exclusively Spanish,” Collomb told BFM TV on Tuesday, adding that he would meet his Spanish counterpart on Wednesday.

Collomb confirmed earlier media reports that the car involved in the attack in Cambrils had been caught on camera speeding in the Paris region, but said authorities did not know at this stage why the car was there.

Reporting by Sudip Kar-Gupta; Editing by Richard Lough

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below