Reuters logo
Many of the 39 killed in Istanbul attack were foreigners - minister
January 1, 2017 / 5:31 AM / a year ago

Many of the 39 killed in Istanbul attack were foreigners - minister

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Fifteen or sixteen of the 39 people killed when a gunman attacked a nightclub in Istanbul on Sunday were foreigners, but only 21 of the bodies have so far been identified, Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said.

Police secure an area near an Istanbul nightclub, following a gun attack, Turkey, January 1, 2017. REUTERS/Osman Orsal

Soylu said a manhunt was underway for the attacker.

Speaking to reporters, he said that five Turkish citizens were among the dead and that 69 people were in hospital.

Reporting by Yesim Dikmen; Writing by Nick Tattersall

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below