* Spot gold may retest support at $1,278- technicals
(Adds comments, updates prices)
* Macro data from U.S., Japan disappoint investors
* Palladium below record highs touched last week
* Palladium off record highs on profit taking
(Adds comment, updates prices)
MUMBAI/BENGALURU Gold demand turned fragile this week in India as local prices jumped to their highest level in 2-1/2-years, while traders in major buying centres in Asia pinned hopes on purchases ahead of the approaching Lunar New Year.
BENGALURU, Jan 18 Palladium held above $1,400 an
ounce on Friday after surging to record levels in the previous
session, amid tight supplies and robust demand, while gold
slipped as risk sentiment got a boost from hopes of progress in
U.S.-China trade talks.
* Gold facing strong technical resistance at $1,300 -
* GRAPHIC-Gold vs currencies: http://tmsnrt.rs/1JxbO6Y
* Spot gold looks neutral in $1,279-$1,299 range -
BENGALURU/MUMBAI Physical gold premiums rose in China this week as investment demand firmed on worries over global growth and a softening dollar, though Indian buyers remained on the sidelines ahead of the wedding season.