Emirates Telecom says may double Pakistan stake
DUBAI (Reuters) - Emirates Telecommunications Corp. (Etisalat) said on Sunday it was considering doubling its stake in Pakistan Telecommunications Co. to 51 percent.
"We are evaluating that option and once we've arrived at the decision that this is positive, we will talk to the (Pakistani) government," Chairman Mohammed Hassan Omran told Reuters. He declined to say when the decision might be made.
Etisalat bought a 26 percent stake in PTCL in 2005 for $2.6 billion under an agreement that gives it management control.
Omran also said he expected Etisalat to invest at least $1 billion in Nigeria in the first three years after the company bought a 40 percent stake in a new Nigerian telephone operation last week.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 8-Soccer-English premier league top scorers
- Cyber experts uncover 2 million stolen passwords to global Web accounts
- UPDATE 3-Actor Walker died from multiple injuries in crash, 'Fast 7' filming halted
- Bullion smuggling outstrips narcotics to feed gold habit
- Exit polls see gains for BJP in state elections
Markets & Politics
The BSE Sensex rose as much as 2.2 percent on Thursday to approach a record high after exit polls predicted a strong showing for the key opposition party in state elections held since November. Full Article