Emirates Telecom says may double Pakistan stake
DUBAI (Reuters) - Emirates Telecommunications Corp. (Etisalat) said on Sunday it was considering doubling its stake in Pakistan Telecommunications Co. to 51 percent.
"We are evaluating that option and once we've arrived at the decision that this is positive, we will talk to the (Pakistani) government," Chairman Mohammed Hassan Omran told Reuters. He declined to say when the decision might be made.
Etisalat bought a 26 percent stake in PTCL in 2005 for $2.6 billion under an agreement that gives it management control.
Omran also said he expected Etisalat to invest at least $1 billion in Nigeria in the first three years after the company bought a 40 percent stake in a new Nigerian telephone operation last week.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Russia can run on empty for a year if sanctions block new bonds
- U.S. strikes have slowed Iraq militants but not weakened them - Pentagon
- Mumbai hit by big power cuts after technical glitch at Tata Power unit
- Actress Jennifer Lawrence contacts authorities after nude photos hacked
- Rupee sees biggest fall in three weeks on broad dollar gains
The BSE Sensex on Tuesday breached the psychologically key level of 27,000 points for the first time to hit its third consecutive record high as blue-chips such as HDFC Bank gained after recent data raises hopes about the economy. Full Article