Spanoulis named Balkan athlete of the year
SOFIA (Reuters) - Greek basketball player Vassilis Spanoulis has been named Balkan Athlete of the Year, the Bulgarian state news agency (BTA) said.
Spanoulis was instrumental in helping his club Panathinaikos to their fifth Euroleague title in May and was named Most Valuable Player (MVP) at the Final Four of the competition in Berlin.
The 27-year-old Spanoulis beat Romanian gymnast Marian Dragolescu, who won the floor and the vault titles at the world championships in London.
Amateur boxer Detelin Dalakliev, who won Bulgaria's first world gold medal for 14 years, came third in the annual poll.
(Reporting by Angel Krasimirov; Editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Scots spurn independence in historic vote but demand new powers
- PM Modi says al Qaeda will fail in India - CNN
- India TV anchor's number is up after naming China's Xi 'Eleven'
- CORRECTED-UPDATE 2-SAP agrees to buy expense software maker Concur for $7.3 bln
- China not warlike, says Xi, as border standoff dominates India trip