Spanoulis named Balkan athlete of the year
SOFIA (Reuters) - Greek basketball player Vassilis Spanoulis has been named Balkan Athlete of the Year, the Bulgarian state news agency (BTA) said.
Spanoulis was instrumental in helping his club Panathinaikos to their fifth Euroleague title in May and was named Most Valuable Player (MVP) at the Final Four of the competition in Berlin.
The 27-year-old Spanoulis beat Romanian gymnast Marian Dragolescu, who won the floor and the vault titles at the world championships in London.
Amateur boxer Detelin Dalakliev, who won Bulgaria's first world gold medal for 14 years, came third in the annual poll.
(Reporting by Angel Krasimirov; Editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Hong Kong protests approach potential National Day flashpoint
- OPEC oil output hits highest since 2012 on Libya, Saudi-Reuters Survey
- Obama, Modi discuss trade, climate, Islamic State at White House
- UPDATE 3-Drug, medical device companies paid billions to U.S. physicians, hospitals in 2013 -data
- UPDATE 2-U.S. charges four with stealing $100 mln in software, data