Guinea ex-army chief arrested after attack - police source
CONAKRY, July 19
CONAKRY, July 19 (Reuters) - Guinean authorities arrrested a former head of the army on Tuesday after President Alpha Conde escaped a rocket and gunfire night-time attack on his residence, a police source told Reuters.
"General Nouhou Thiam has been arrested and taken to police headquarters," said the senior source, without giving further details.
Separately, police and army sources said a second soldier, who was a former member of Conde's presidential guard, had also been arrested. (Reporting by Saliou Samb; Writing by Mark John; editing by David Lewis)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Record cold, ice grip U.S.; more snow to blanket East
- REFILE-Putin dissolves state news agency, tightens grip on Russia media
- Nokia offers $369 mln deposit to unfreeze Indian assets
- UPDATE 3-Sysco to buy US Foods from private equity, shares leap
- UPDATE 3-Yanukovich backs Ukraine compromise talks, police dismantle protest barricades