Barca captain Puyol fit to return after elbow injury
MADRID (Reuters) - Barcelona captain Carles Puyol was passed fit to return to action on Friday, 45 days after dislocating his left elbow, the La Liga leaders said in a statement.
"Everyone knows how important he is," Barca coach Tito Vilanova told a news conference.
The 34-year-old Spanish international is ready in time for the visit of Real Zaragoza on Saturday, and should help restore some stability to the Barca backline after a shaky couple of months without him and his centre-back partner Gerard Pique.
Pique returned to action only last week after seven weeks on the sidelines with a foot problem.
Barca conceded only 29 goals in 38 matches when they finished runners up to Real Madrid in La Liga last season, but have already shipped 14 in 11 games so far this term.
(Reporting by Mark Elkington, editing by Alan Baldwin)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Computer spying malware uncovered with 'stealth' features - Symantec
- India approves $2.6 bln mounted gun purchase - official
- 'Hunger Games' tops U.S. box office with $123 million opening
- China building South China Sea island big enough for airstrip - report
- Obama to Republican critics on immigration: 'Pass a bill'
A tearful Lewis Hamilton joined the elite ranks of double Formula One world champions on Sunday after a nerve-racking drive to victory in the floodlit season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. Full Article