Nigeria army offers $1.8 mln reward for Boko Haram leaders

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:53pm IST

Electronic gadgets seized from suspected Islamic sect members of Boko Haram are displayed following a raid conducted on Monday in a military barrack in northern city of Kano September 18, 2012. REUTERS/Stringer/Files

Electronic gadgets seized from suspected Islamic sect members of Boko Haram are displayed following a raid conducted on Monday in a military barrack in northern city of Kano September 18, 2012.

Credit: Reuters/Stringer/Files

Related Topics

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (Reuters) - Nigeria's army has offered 290 million naira for information leading to the capture of 19 leading members of Islamist sect Boko Haram, whose insurgency has killed hundreds this year.

Boko Haram wants to impose strict sharia - or Islamic law - in the country of 160 million, split roughly equally between Christians and Muslims, and the group has become the biggest security threat to Africa's largest oil producer.

The military Joint Task Force (JTF) in northeast Borno state, the sect's home territory and the focus of its attacks, offered a reward of 50 million naira for the sect's self-proclaimed leader Abubakar Shekau.

It offered 25 million naira for each of the men said by the JTF to be his main commanders: Habibu Yusuk, Khalis Albarnawai, Momodu Bama and Mohammed Zangina, and 10 million naira for 14 other senior members.

"They are wanted in connection with terrorist activities particularly in the north east zone," a statement by the JTF in Maiduguri, Borno's capital, said on Saturday.

"(This) led to the killings, bombings and assassination of civilians, religious leaders, traditional rulers, businessmen, politicians, civil servants and security personnel."

Boko Haram's core group, believed to be led by Shekau, still focuses its attacks in its northeast base but the group is split into different factions spread across the north of Africa's most populous nation.

It has carried out several attacks in the capital Abuja, including a suicide car bombing on the United Nations headquarters last year that killed at least 24 people.

Britain last week banned a Nigerian Islamist group known as Ansaru it said was aligned with al Qaeda and was probably responsible for the killing of a Briton and an Italian kidnapped in northern Nigeria last year.

At the time of their deaths, a senior Nigerian security official said the captors belonged to a faction of Boko Haram.

Boko Haram has largely had a domestic agenda but Western governments are increasing worried about Islamists in northern Nigeria linking up with outside jihadist groups such as al Qaeda's north African wing.

(Reporting by Ibrahim Mshelizza in Maiduguri and Isaac Abrak in Kaduna; Writing by Joe Brock; Editing by Louise Ireland)

FILED UNDER:

REUTERS SHOWCASE

26/11 Accused

26/11 Accused

Pakistan to appeal bail for Mumbai attack "mastermind".  Full Article 

Android For cars

Android For cars

Exclusive: Google aiming to go straight into car with next Android – sources.  Full Article 

Mass Stabbing

Mass Stabbing

Eight children killed in Australia in reported mass stabbing.  Full Article 

In Distress

In Distress

Former SpiceJet owner leading rescue plan: reports.  Full Article 

PM's Moves

PM's Moves

Modi moves in to speed up $300 billion stuck projects.  Full Article 

Losing Popularity

Losing Popularity

Dalai Lama's star waning in the West, China official says.  Full Article 

Tis' The Season

Tis' The Season

Stars around the world wish you Happy Holidays.  Video 

Cyber Warfare

Cyber Warfare

For N.Korea's cyber army, long-term target may be telecoms, utility grids.  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device   Full Coverage