Barca rest key players for Cup clash, Adriano returns
MADRID (Reuters) - Holders Barcelona will rest midfielders Xavi and Andres Iniesta, centre back Gerard Pique and forward Pedro for Thursday's King's Cup last-16 second leg at home to second-division Cordoba, the club said on Wednesday.
Barca have a 2-0 lead from last month's first leg and despite the absence of the Spain quartet should have little trouble securing a last-eight meeting with Malaga, who eliminated third-tier Eibar on Tuesday.
Barca fullback Adriano, who picked up a minor muscle injury at the end of December and missed Sunday's 4-0 La Liga win at home to Espanyol, returned to training on Wednesday and had been included in the squad, the club said in a statement on their website (www.fcbarcelona.es).
Argentina forward Lionel Messi, who collected a record fourth consecutive FIFA Ballon d'Or award on Monday, was also available, they added.
(Reporting by Iain Rogers, editing by Clare Fallon)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Alibaba surges 38 pct on massive demand in market debut
- Eight bodies found after attack on Guinea Ebola education team
- UPDATE 3-Ebola lockdown brings Sierra Leone capital to a halt
- Kurdish leader urges world to protect Syrian town from Islamic State
- UPDATE 9-Scots spurn independence in historic vote, devolution battle begins
The 17th Asian Games opened in a multi-coloured blaze of fireworks and carefully crafted K-Pop routines on Friday, as athletes from the world's most populous region came together in pursuit of gold and glory in South Korea. Full Article