Barca rest key players for Cup clash, Adriano returns
MADRID (Reuters) - Holders Barcelona will rest midfielders Xavi and Andres Iniesta, centre back Gerard Pique and forward Pedro for Thursday's King's Cup last-16 second leg at home to second-division Cordoba, the club said on Wednesday.
Barca have a 2-0 lead from last month's first leg and despite the absence of the Spain quartet should have little trouble securing a last-eight meeting with Malaga, who eliminated third-tier Eibar on Tuesday.
Barca fullback Adriano, who picked up a minor muscle injury at the end of December and missed Sunday's 4-0 La Liga win at home to Espanyol, returned to training on Wednesday and had been included in the squad, the club said in a statement on their website (www.fcbarcelona.es).
Argentina forward Lionel Messi, who collected a record fourth consecutive FIFA Ballon d'Or award on Monday, was also available, they added.
(Reporting by Iain Rogers, editing by Clare Fallon)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Microsoft names next operating system 'Windows 10'
- Hong Kong protests approach potential National Day flashpoint
- Column: Why work with Modi? It’s the economy, stupid
- Obama, Modi work to deepen improving U.S.-India ties
- Kurds seize Iraq/Syria border post; Sunni tribe joins fight against Islamic State
Nemanja Matic's header ended Sporting's four-year unbeaten home run in Europe as Chelsea seized control of Champions League Group G with a 1-0 victory in Lisbon. Full Article