Egypt court suspends YouTube over anti-Islam film
CAIRO (Reuters) - An Egyptian court ordered the suspension of online video service YouTube for a month on Saturday for broadcasting a film insulting the Prophet Mohammad, state media reported.
The country's administrative court ordered the ministries of communication and investment to block YouTube, owned by Google (GOOG.O), inside Egypt because it had carried the film "Innocence of Muslims," said state news agency MENA.
The 13-minute video, billed as a film trailer and made in the United States, provoked a torrent of anti-American unrest in Egypt, Libya and dozens of other Muslim countries in September.
The video depicts the Prophet as a fool and a sexual deviant. For most Muslims, any portrayal of the Prophet is considered blasphemous.
The court said it was ruling on a case brought about the film several months ago, without going into further detail.
YouTube had "insisted on broadcasting the film insulting Islam and the Prophet, disrespecting the beliefs of millions of Egyptians and disregarding the anger of all Muslims" the court said, according to MENA.
Egypt's National Telecommunication Regulatory Authority said it would abide by the ruling as soon as it received a copy of the verdict.
Maha Abouelenein, a Google spokeswoman in Cairo, said the company had yet to receive any formal notification of the ruling. (Additional reporting by Kevin Gray; Writing by Marwa Awad; Editing by Doina Chiacu)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Miss America defends student suspended for asking her to prom
- UPDATE 3-Soccer-English premier league results and standings
- Calls to U.S. poison centers involving e-cigarettes jump - CDC
- India passes halfway mark in election with BJP gaining strength
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter
Americans with accounts on President Barack Obama’s health insurance enrollment website, HealthCare.gov, were advised that their passwords had been reset to guard against the "Heartbleed" bug, in a message posted on the site on Saturday. Full Article
Tech workers seek to use Steve Jobs evidence in upcoming trial on no-hire accords Full Article