ROME Western and Arab officials will meet representatives of the Syrian opposition in Istanbul next Monday to discuss military and humanitarian support for rebels fighting President Bashar al-Assad, a European diplomatic source said on Thursday.
"The meeting aims to work directly with opposition structures to increase the level of support," the source said, adding that both civilian and military representatives of the Syrian opposition would attend.
The source spoke on the margins of a meeting in Rome between the Syrian National Coalition - the main civilian opposition group - and Western and Arab nations.
In a policy shift, the United States has decided to provide medical supplies and food to Syrian fighters, but will still oppose giving the rebels weapons, a source familiar with the matter said overnight. (Reporting by Khaled Oweis, Editing By Barry Moody)
Trending On Reuters
A Syrian father on Friday buried his wife and two little boys, drowned as they tried to flee to Europe, while hundreds of migrants fled from a detention camp and escaped a train stranded under police siege in Hungary. Full Article | Video
- Kentucky clerk's office ends ban on same-sex marriage licenses
- UK's Cameron bows to pressure to take more Syrian refugees
- Hillary Clinton says 'sorry' for confusion over email account
- At least 10 killed in armed attacks in Tajikistan, U.S. embassy shut
- Saudi king meets with Obama amid Gulf concerns over Iran deal