Wozniacki pulls out of Brisbane warm-up with injury
REUTERS - Former world number one Caroline Wozniacki has pulled out of the Brisbane International warm-up for the Australian Open because of an injured right shoulder, organisers said on Sunday.
The 23-year-old Dane, currently ranked 10th in the world, was scheduled to open her season with a first round tie against Dominika Cibulkova and seeded to meet top ranked Serena Williams in the quarter-finals.
Organisers said Wozniacki still hoped to take part in next week's Sydney International to get some match practice before the first grand slam of the year, which starts at Melbourne Park on January 13.
The 2009 U.S. Open finalist had a disappointing 2013 season, winning just one title in Luxemburg and failing to reach the quarter-finals at any of the four majors for the first time in five years. (Reporting by Nick Mulvenney; Editing by John O'Brien)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Google launches new email service dubbed "Inbox"
- Apple CEO says to add 25 stores in China within two years - Sina
- U.S.-led air strikes killed 521 fighters, 32 civilians in Syria - monitor
- Sensex gains in special trading session on Diwali
- Nissan recalling 260,000 vehicles globally with Takata air bags
The West Indies Cricket Board (WICB), reeling from the fallout from the team's withdrawal from the tour of India, is facing fresh pressure from its worried commercial and broadcast partners. Full Article