KIEV Russian forces took control of a Ukrainian border guard post in western Crimea on Sunday, trapping about 30 personnel inside, a border guard spokesman said.
He said by telephone that the Chernomorskoye base on the western edge of the Back Sea peninsula had been taken over without bloodshed at around six a.m. (0400 GMT).
The spokesman, Oleh Slobodyan, said Russian forces now controlled 11 border guard posts in Crimea.
Russian forces' seizure of the southern Ukrainian region, which began 11 days ago, has been bloodless. Ukrainian troops are trapped in a number of bases but have offered no armed resistance.
(Reporting by Natalia Zinets, Editing by Timothy Heritage)
Trending On Reuters
Malaysian police believe at least two of the jungle camps where they have found nearly 140 graves of suspected human trafficking victims were abandoned in the last two to three weeks, around the time that Thailand launched a crackdown on people smugglers. Full Article
- Islamic State faces battle in Iraq, U.S. reassures Abadi
- Japan to join U.S., Australia war games amid growing China tensions
- IT chief at Bangladesh Coca-Cola unit arrested as Islamic State suspect
- Unpopular but defiant, Myanmar ruling party unfazed about poll prospects
- Southeast Asia maritime build-up accelerates, raising risks in disputed seas
Shake-up in key Samsung assets to cement heir's grip as succession looms Full Article