KIEV Russian forces took control of a Ukrainian border guard post in western Crimea on Sunday, trapping about 30 personnel inside, a border guard spokesman said.
He said by telephone that the Chernomorskoye base on the western edge of the Back Sea peninsula had been taken over without bloodshed at around six a.m. (0400 GMT).
The spokesman, Oleh Slobodyan, said Russian forces now controlled 11 border guard posts in Crimea.
Russian forces' seizure of the southern Ukrainian region, which began 11 days ago, has been bloodless. Ukrainian troops are trapped in a number of bases but have offered no armed resistance.
(Reporting by Natalia Zinets, Editing by Timothy Heritage)
Trending On Reuters
Tunisia's National Dialogue Quartet won the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for its contribution to building democracy after the Jasmine Revolution in 2011, the Nobel Committee said. Full Article
- No quick fix for latest 'wave of terror' - Israel's Netanyahu
- Syria extends major offensive to retake territory in west
- Collision course with a hurricane: How doomed U.S. ship met its end
- U.N. proposes unity gov't for Libya's warring factions, Tripoli balks
- France train attack hero Stone stabbed in California