KIEV Russian forces took control of a Ukrainian border guard post in western Crimea on Sunday, trapping about 30 personnel inside, a border guard spokesman said.
He said by telephone that the Chernomorskoye base on the western edge of the Back Sea peninsula had been taken over without bloodshed at around six a.m. (0400 GMT).
The spokesman, Oleh Slobodyan, said Russian forces now controlled 11 border guard posts in Crimea.
Russian forces' seizure of the southern Ukrainian region, which began 11 days ago, has been bloodless. Ukrainian troops are trapped in a number of bases but have offered no armed resistance.
(Reporting by Natalia Zinets, Editing by Timothy Heritage)
Trending On Reuters
Egypt's army said on Wednesday more than 100 militants and 17 soldiers were killed after simultaneous assaults on military checkpoints in North Sinai, in the deadliest fighting in years in the restive province. Full Article
- IAEA chief heads to Iran as nuclear talks reach last stretch
- Images show Chinese airstrip on man-made Spratly island nearly finished
- U.S., Cuba restoring diplomatic ties after 54 years
- "Wow, pulled back wrong throttle" - captain of crashed TransAsia plane
- In emails, Hillary's outside advisers pushed hawkish Afghan line
India to spend $8 billion to boost irrigation, reduce dependence on monsoon Full Article
"Wow, pulled back wrong throttle" - captain of crashed TransAsia plane Full Article