BEIJING A knife-wielding man slashed 22 children and an adult at an elementary school in central China on Friday, state media reported, the latest in a series of attacks on schoolchildren in the country.
The man attacked the children at the gate of a school in Chenpeng village in Henan province, the Xinhua news agency reported.
Police arrested a 36-year-old man, identified as villager Min Yingjun, Xinhua said. It did not give further details of the extent of the injuries.
There have been a series of attacks on schools and schoolchildren around China in recent years, some by people who have lost their jobs or felt left out of the country's economic boom.
The rash of violence has prompted public calls for more measures to protect the young in a country where many couples only have one child.
In 2010, a man slashed 28 children, two teachers and a security guard in a kindergarten in eastern China.
(Reporting by Terril Yue Jones; editing by Jonathan Standing)
Trending On Reuters
Syria called local truces near Damascus and in a northern province on Friday but no halt to combat on the main battlefield in Aleppo, after a surge in fighting the United Nations said showed "monstrous disregard" for civilian lives. Full Article
- Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norwegian coast, 13 presumed dead
- China denies request for Hong Kong visit by U.S. carrier group - Pentagon
- Republicans downplay Trump rally unrest in California
- Puerto Rico Zika cases now include 65 pregnant women, 1 death - CDC
- North Korea sentences Korean American to 10 years hard labour