BAGHDAD Iraq has issued an arrest warrant for Sunni Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi, a senior security official said on Monday, after the government obtained confessions linking him to what the official described as terrorist activities.
Interior Ministry spokesman, Major General Adel Daham, told a news conference that confessions by suspects identified as Hashemi's bodyguards linked the vice president to suspected killings and attacks.
The arrest warrant was signed by five judges, Daham added.
(Reporting by Rania el Gamal; Editing by Serena Chaudhry and Maria Golovnina)
Trending On Reuters
Rebel groups urged U.S. President Barack Obama to do more to stop Russian bombing raids in Syria as pressure mounted on Washington ahead of a new round of peace talks this week. Full Article
- Khomeini grandson loses appeal to stand in Iranian election
- Iraq PM says sending ground troops to Syria would be "dangerous escalation"
- Republican Christie's U.S. presidential campaign in trouble
- WHO urges women to cover up, have safe sex in Zika areas
- Trump for president? Ladbrokes odds improve after New Hampshire