BAGHDAD Iraq has issued an arrest warrant for Sunni Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi, a senior security official said on Monday, after the government obtained confessions linking him to what the official described as terrorist activities.
Interior Ministry spokesman, Major General Adel Daham, told a news conference that confessions by suspects identified as Hashemi's bodyguards linked the vice president to suspected killings and attacks.
The arrest warrant was signed by five judges, Daham added.
(Reporting by Rania el Gamal; Editing by Serena Chaudhry and Maria Golovnina)
Trending On Reuters
The Afghan Taliban have named Haibatullah Akhunzada their new leader, a spokesman said in a statement on Wednesday that gave the group's first official confirmation that former leader Mullah Akhtar Mansour had been killed in a U.S. drone strike. Full Article
- Ten killed in suicide attack near Afghan capital
- No sign of EgyptAir plane technical problems before takeoff - sources
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Paying the ultimate price on Mount Everest
- Insight: Philippine death squads very much in business as Duterte set for presidency