SEOUL South Korea's new president Park Geun-hye urged North Korea on Monday to abandon its nuclear ambitions immediately and to stop wasting its scarce resources on arms development.
"I urge North Korea to abandon its nuclear ambitions without delay and embark on the path to peace and shared development," Park said as she was inaugurated as the country's first woman leader.
Park took office just 13 days after the North's young leader Kim Jong-un carried out the country's third nuclear weapons test, its most powerful to date.
(Reporting by Ju-min Park and Jack Kim; Editing by David Chance)
Trending On Reuters
Turkey's top brass and political leaders were poised to launch a major overhaul of the armed forces on Thursday after a failed military coup that has shaken the nation of nearly 80 million people and alarmed its NATO allies. Full Article
- Armed with party support, Clinton to make case for the White House
- German police raid mosque and apartments in crackdown on Salafists
- Second French church attacker was known to police - sources
- Senior Pakistani officer to investigate British woman's suspected 'honour killing'
- Fervent jihadist or suicidal refugee: the many faces of Bavarian bomber