SEOUL South Korea's new president Park Geun-hye urged North Korea on Monday to abandon its nuclear ambitions immediately and to stop wasting its scarce resources on arms development.
"I urge North Korea to abandon its nuclear ambitions without delay and embark on the path to peace and shared development," Park said as she was inaugurated as the country's first woman leader.
Park took office just 13 days after the North's young leader Kim Jong-un carried out the country's third nuclear weapons test, its most powerful to date.
(Reporting by Ju-min Park and Jack Kim; Editing by David Chance)
Trending On Reuters
New York billionaire Donald Trump hopes that Indiana's nominating contest on Tuesday will make him unstoppable in what originally had seemed to many a quixotic quest for the Republican presidential nomination. Full Article
- N. Korea capital gears up for congress; South fears nuclear test
- Fire destroys 50 shelters in Myanmar camp for displaced - witness
- Spanish King calls national election for June 26
- U.S. service member killed in Iraq - U.S. defense chief
- Turkish warplanes hit PKK targets in northern Iraq, killing 18 - military sources