SEOUL South Korea's new president Park Geun-hye urged North Korea on Monday to abandon its nuclear ambitions immediately and to stop wasting its scarce resources on arms development.
"I urge North Korea to abandon its nuclear ambitions without delay and embark on the path to peace and shared development," Park said as she was inaugurated as the country's first woman leader.
Park took office just 13 days after the North's young leader Kim Jong-un carried out the country's third nuclear weapons test, its most powerful to date.
(Reporting by Ju-min Park and Jack Kim; Editing by David Chance)
Trending On Reuters
The Afghan Taliban have named Haibatullah Akhunzada their new leader, a spokesman said in a statement on Wednesday that gave the group's first official confirmation that former leader Mullah Akhtar Mansour had been killed in a U.S. drone strike. Full Article
- Ten killed in suicide attack near Afghan capital
- No sign of EgyptAir plane technical problems before takeoff - sources
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Paying the ultimate price on Mount Everest
- Insight: Philippine death squads very much in business as Duterte set for presidency