BEIRUT An explosion in front of the Damascus headquarters for the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) killed at least one person on Thursday, Syrian state television said.
Syria TV said "terrorists from al Qaeda" blew up an improvised explosive device in a car, causing damage to the SARC building. State media often refers to the rebels trying to topple President Bashar al-Assad as al Qaeda terrorists.
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent has come under fire several times, and members accuse both the government and Syrian rebels of attacks. (Reporting by Erika Solomon; editing by Patrick Graham)
Trending On Reuters
- Knife attacker in Japan kills 19 in their sleep at disabled centre
- Japan killings suspect offered to euthanise disabled, wanted 'world peace'
- U.S. Democrats set to nominate Clinton as they seek a way past discord
- Patient shoots dead doctor in Berlin before killing himself
- Wary of turmoil in holiday hotspots, Germans flock to 'safe' Denmark